- Beattie and Beatty
- The Batie Border Reivers
- Beattys in the 1631 Muster Roll in County Fermanagh
- The Beatties of Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire
- John Beatty, North Carolina Pioneer
- The Beatty-Cramer House
Beattie and Beatty
The Beattie spelling is preferred in the UK, both Beatty and Beattie occur in Ireland, and it is mainly Beatty in America. The table below shows the approximate numbers today.
The Batie Border Reivers
In 1588 John Batie of the Score formed an alliance with Jock Armstrong. Raising an army of 500 men they launched a foray into England and carried off 660 cattle, 600 sheep, 35 prisoners, and assets worth £40 sterling.
Beattys in the
1631 Muster Roll in County Fermanagh
Armstrong and Beatty names
appeared most frequently in the 1631 muster roll of Scottish
Fermanagh. The Armstrong name occurred
41 times, the Beatty name 36 times.
Particular Beatty concentrations were:
- the Castlehalfour estate of Lord James Balfour, ten Beattys
- the estate of Sir Gerrard Lowther, nine Beattys
- the Knockballymore estate of the Archdeacon of Ardagh, five Beattys
- and the Churchlands estate of Lady Brewerton, four Beattys
The Beatties of Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire
The name of Beattie was almost bewildering to one who consulted the parochial records of the 18th century. Nearly every farm in the parish was at one time or another in the hands of a Beattie and several families of the name appear in the earliest records of the village. There was one particular distinction of these Beatties, that they were divided between the "rich Beatties" and the "poor Beatties."
Three lines of Beatties have been traced with a reasonable amount of accuracy from the close of the 17th century. One of these lines included the poet James Beattie, born in 1735 at the Mill of Haulkerton where his father was a tenant. These Beatties were noted for their pedestrian feats. James’s sister Catherine had once walked the whole way to Edinburgh from Beattie Lodge in Laurencekirk.
John Beatty, North Carolina Pioneer
John and his wife Elizabeth were to raise five children by Beatty’s Ford. Two of his sons died young, John being killed while scouting and Charles being scalped by Indians.
Thomas, the eldest son, was still living when their father died in 1774. Perhaps Thomas already had his own place by that time. John left his homestead to Thomas’s son and his grandson William.
The Beatty-Cramer House
The exact construction date is unknown, though Susanna Beatty, a wealthy landowner from Ulster county New York moved there with her family in 1732, 13 years before Frederick was settled. When Beatty, already a widow for 11 years, bought the thousand acres surrounding the house for four shillings an acre, the purchase made her one of the first women to own land in Maryland.
The original structure had probably been used as a commercial space, either a tavern or a meeting house.