Select Hunt Surname Genealogy

Here are some Hunt stories and accounts over the years:

Roger Hunt of Chalverston

Roger Hunt’s origins are uncertain.  It is known that he was a distinguished lawyer during the reigns of Henry IV, V and VI and that he ultimately became one of the Barons of the Exchequer.  He was returned to Parliament in 1420 for the county of Huntingdon and was chosen at that time as Speaker of the House of Commons, a position he assumed again in 1433. 

The interior of the Roxton parish church in Bedfordshire contains an altar-tomb of Roger Hunt, bearing the date of 1439. 

He and his family were to be found at their estate of Chalverston in Bedfordshire.  Their line extended to William Hunt and his son Roger who inherited the estate in late Elizabethan times.  But afterwards this Hunt family seemed to have died out.

Hunt Town Clerks of Stratford

Beginning in the 1760’s, William Hunt from Tanworth held the prestigious position of Town Clerk in Stratford-on-Avon, the home of Shakespeare.  The Town Clerk was a highly esteemed position in Stratford.  In 1778 Jago the poet described The Town Clerk as "our beloved William Hunt."  He died in 1783 and was buried in Stratford churchyard.  There is a marble tablet to his memory in the church, bearing the Hunt arms. 

William Hunt held the position at the time of the famous Shakespeare Jubilee in 1769 when the famous actor David Garrick was the guest of honor.  Hunt made the following address:  

"Sir, you, who have done the memory of Shakespeare so much honor, are esteemed the fittest person to be appointed the first steward of his jubilee; which we beg your acceptance of: permit me, Sir, in obedience to the commands of this corporation, to deliver to you this medal and this wand, the sacred pledges of our veneration for our immortal townsman, whereby you are invested with your office." 

To this polite mark of attention, Mr. Garrick made a suitable reply and fastened the present about his neck, wearing it in compliment throughout the jubilee.  The completion of this ceremony was immediately announced by ringing of bells and firing of the cannon. 

When William died in 1783 he was succeeded as Town Clerk by his son Thomas.  In fact the Hunt family held the position for a hundred and thirty two years and reigned without a break, six members and four generations of the family.

Isaac Hunt the Loyalist

Isaac was staunch Loyalist and had made a name for himself by defending other loyalists in court and as an author of many pamphlets championing the cause of the British Crown.  The inflammatory nature of these activities, carried out in the face of the revolutionary winds that were blowing at the time, ultimately triggered predictable consequences. 

Early one morning in 1775, he was taken from his house and, along with a Dr. Kearsley, an equally dedicated Tory, was driven about the streets of Philadelphia in an open cart, the intention being eventually to tar and feather both men.  At the last minute the two Loyalists were spared the ordeal of being tarred and feathered when a friend of theirs managed to overturn the tub of hot tar that had been prepared for the purpose. 

After being paraded up and down the streets, both men were imprisoned.  Isaac bribed a prison guard and escaped, ending up, via Barbados, in England.  It was almost two years before his wife and children were able to join him.

Miller James Hunt of Northern Hopewell

One of the pioneers of northern Hopewell, New Jersey at the time of the Revolutionary period was James Hunt.  His name was written "James Hunt Senior" in some of the old records.  But he was widely known as "Miller James," to distinguish him from his neighbor "Deacon James” who resided less than a mile from him. 

Hunt was born in 1724, arrived in Hopewell in 1748, and lived to be 78 years of age, dying at his farm in 1802.  He and his wife Rachel were buried in the Hunt burial plot at the farm of J. Guild Hunt near Marshall’s Corner. 

He was said to be a popular local business man, kind hearted and benevolent in disposition, and during the time of the Revolution operated the grist mills on Stony Brook.

At that time the British were making house to house canvasses in the Hunt neighborhood. 

“Mr. Hunt's family heard that they were expected to pass along the Hopewell road on a certain evening and did not light up the house, hoping that, as it was located quite a distance from the public road, it might be passed by undiscovered.  The British were shrewd enough, however, to always employ a Tory guide who was familiar with every highway and byway of the territory they intended to traverse.  All families who were suspected of being in sympathy with Washington's band of patriots were visited, no matter how secluded their places of residence. 

Before the evening was far advanced, Mr. Hunt's family heard the soldiers outside and they were ordered to open the door or it would be broken down.  Knowing full well that this threat would be put in execution, Mr. Hunt opened the door and admitted his unbidden and very unwelcome visitors.  Mr. Hunt was then informed that he was their prisoner and that he must accompany them to Pennington where Cornwallis would administer the oath of allegiance to the English King. 

When the party started off for Pennington with their father, the daughters followed, crying and screaming at the top of their voices.  The officer in charge cursed and threatened but all to no purpose.  The grief and excitement had made them hysterical.  His threats only aggravated their overwrought nerves until they were on the verge of collapsing.  

Finding that his threats were of no avail and thinking doubtless that their screams ringing out on the night air would be heard for a long distance and arouse the whole neighborhood, the officer released Mr. Hunt, telling him that he was ‘too old to be good for anything and he could go home and take care of his babies." 

Hunts in Roscommon

Hunts occupied 84 acres of the Mahon estate in the town of Doorty (or Dooherty) in county Roscommon. This acreage had been leased to "James Hunt and Company" since 1808.  The Hunts were tenant farmers, in what was known as a “rundale” collective, to the Mahons who were the estate landlords. 

On November 2 1847, Major Denis Mahon was assassinated.  Evidence suggested that the Molly Maguires were responsible for the attack.  Patrick Hunt happened to be walking home that day and witnessed the crime.  Unfortunately, the honesty and legal cooperation of this young boy put all the Hunts in danger of retaliation by the Molly Maguires.  Thus it wasn't just a potato famine which gave them reason to make a hasty departure from Ireland around

John and Latetia Hunt of Fitzroy Township, Ontario

John and Latetia Hunt from county Leitrim in Ireland were among the first settlers of Fitzroy township, Ontario. They were both advanced in years when they started out on the great adventure of emigrating to a new country that was then almost a wilderness.  But the prospect of owning their own land proved a draw and they left their home in Mohill parish with their eleven children, ranging in age from twenty-eight to two years, in early 1832. 

Arriving at Montreal after a six weeks’ voyage on a sailing ship with seas so rough that some of their baggage was lost overboard, the Hunt entourage traveled via the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers to Fitzroy harbor where they faced a trek of seven miles through the forest to the site of their new home. 

On the way from Fitzroy harbor to the clearing which was to become their home, young John, aged eighteen, lingered behind finding it difficult to keep up with the others.  His illness proved to be “ship’s fever” and, despite the anxious care of his mother, he slipped away two weeks later on July 4, 1832.  It was necessary to find a last resting place, one that was “high and dry.”  His mother found a triangular knoll with a ravine on two sides close to the family home.  He was buried beneath an elm tree.  In that way the family cemetery was dedicated. 

The early years were hard.  But as time went by the Hunt family increased and flourished.  By 1932, one hundred years later, the family tree prepared by the family historian, Major Harold Hunt, extended over sixteen feet of blueprint.  A celebration of that centennial was held on August 29, 1932, with 144 Hunt descendants being present.  Visitors from Ireland brought greetings from the Hunts that had remained in Mohill.

Return to Top of Page
Return to Hunt Main Page