Lloyd


Select Lloyd Surname Genealogy

Here are some Lloyd stories and accounts over the years:

The Lloyds of Maesyfelin


The forces of the Earl de Clare, one of the Norman conquerors of Wales, held Cardigan castle, but in 1164 Cadifor ap Dinawal, after scaling the stone walls with long ladders, succeeded in capturing the place.  For this feat he was rewarded with a coat of arms and the hand of the daughter of Lord Rhys, Prince of south Wales.  His family later held Maesyfelin manor near Lampeter in Cardiganshire. 

The first of this family to adopt the Lloyd name was Gwilym Lloyd in the 14th century.  Later Lloyds were:
  • Hugh Lloyd of Castle Howel, sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1567;
  • his son, Thomas Lloyd the treasurer of St. David’s Cathedral;
  • his son Marmaluke Chief Justice of Radnor, Brecknock and Glamorgan and the first to settle at Maesyfelin;
  • and his son Francis who fought for King Charles during the Civil War but was described as being “not cast in the same mould as his father." 
Still, Francis Lloyd is remembered; or rather his love for his mistress Bridgett Leigh is remembered.  While Francis was alive Bridgett was routinely called his concubine.  When he died in 1669, however, he secured in his will her future and that of their three children who were all legitimized and made heirs to the Maesyfelin estate. 

The story of Bridgett then darkens with the legendary curse that was laid on the Lloyd estate and its heirs in the 1640's:

"May God's curse be upon Maesyfelin,
On every stone and every root,
For casting the flower of Llandovery town
Headlong into the Towy to drown."

Did the curse foretell the downfall of the Lloyds of Maesyfelin?  The estate became encumbered in debts by the early 18th century.  John Lloyd then united Maesyfelin with his neighboring Peterwell estate in 1750. However, this last Lloyd owner was so tyrannical and cruel that he was known in history as the evil squire of Peterwell.  He died by his own hand in London in 1769.  


The Lloyds of Rhiwaedog

According to family history, the Lloyds became possessed of Rhiwaedog in Merioneth in 1395 by the marriage of their ancestor Meredydd ab Ieuan ab Meredydd to Margaret, the eldest daughter and co-heiress of Einion ab Ithel of Rhiwaedog.  Lywarch Hen, an early Welsh chieftain and bard, was said to predate them in lineage. 

This family, in the course of the centuries, provided Merioneth with a number of sheriffs - including John Lloyd in 1616, the first perhaps to adopt the Lloyd name.  Dr. John Davies was a cleric at Llanfor church during John Lloyd's time and he wrote a poem to John Lloyd, asking him to give local residents a horse in order for them to cross the river on the way to Llanfor church. 

The main branch of the family died out in the early 19th century.


Thomas Lloyd the Quaker

Thomas Lloyd and his brother Charles, together with several others of the gentry of Montgomeryshire, became converted to the faith of the Society of Friends under the teachings of George Fox in 1663.  Both were imprisoned for their faith in 1664 and they stayed in Welshpool jail until 1672. 

“Welshpool had the worst reputation of any in Wales; and as a further humiliation those of some status who were imprisoned were put 'in a low room; the felons and malefactors in a chamber overhead, their chamber pots and excrements, etc. often falling upon them.'” 

Thomas had been a physician in Wales and had a large practice.  Being of his gentry class - and a man of high intellectual ability - he exercised a wide influence in matters of state, despite belonging to the Quakers.  He was offered the inducements of high position and great influence if he would renounce his religion, but he maintained his beliefs. 

In 1681 he and Charles held a public disputation at Llanwilling Town Hall for his kinsman William Lloyd, Bishop of Asaph, one of the noted prelates whom James II had committed to the Tower. 

Thomas eventually left Britain for the freedoms of America and arrived in Pennsylvania in 1683.  His wife Mary died three months after they stepped ashore.  He married again, Patience Story, a year later.  For most of his time there until his death in 1694 he was the highest officer or Chief Magistrate of the province.


John Lloyd in America

According to a family letter written in 1838, John Lloyd was born in London of Welsh parentage. 

“My father John Lloyd was born in the city of London in the year 1704 Old Christmas Day.  He had two older brothers, Joseph a watch and clock maker and Philip a printer.  He was bound to a boot and shoemaker.  Before his term expired he married without his master’s consent.  This by the laws of England disqualified a man from being a master workman and through his life he could only be a journeyman.  He returned home one evening from his work and found his wife and child both dead.  This was a distressing circumstance.” 

It is thought that John Lloyd came to America as an indentured prisoner, after having been convicted of the theft of some shoemaker's tools.  His punishment was fourteen years of indentured service in America.  He was shipped in 1727 aboard the ship Rappahannock to Maryland. 

Nothing more was known about John until his marriage to Prudence Emery in Virginia in 1742 when he was evidently a freed man.  For the remainder of his life he was a respected member of the Frederick county community.  All five of his sons fought in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.  Their descendants were to be found in Georgia and Texas.



Wye House


Wye House Farm in Maryland was settled in the 1650’s by Edward Lloyd, a Welsh Puritan.  The farm was burnt down by the British during the Revolutionary War.  Edward Lloyd's great grandson, Edward Lloyd IV, built a newer grander plantation house in 1790.  At its peak, the farm covered 20,000 acres and operated with more than a thousand slaves.  Abolitionist Frederick Douglass witnessed the cruelty displayed towards the slaves on the plantation in the 1820’s.  The Long Green, a mile-long expanse from the Great House to the Wye River, was the center of their working life. 

The plantation house remains with the descendants of the Lloyd family.



Edward Lloyd and Lloyds of London

Edward Lloyd was the owner of the coffee house that provided the name of Lloyd's of London, the global insurance and financial institution.  Little is known about Lloyd's early career, other than that he opened his shop sometime before 1688.  It became a popular spot for maritime business transactions, something Lloyd encouraged with a variety of services including the periodical Lloyd's News. 

The original location was on Tower Street, but Lloyd moved in 1691 to Lombard Street.  The business of shipping and insurance agreements continued after Lloyd's death in 1713.  Lloyd’s List began publication in the 1730’s.  By 1774 Lloyd's of London was out of the coffee business and into insurance for good.



The Lloyds of Doon in Limerick

John Lloyd was born, according to his death certificate in 1799 and was the forebear of the Lloyds of Doon in Limerick.  He married Margaret (Jessie) O’Dwyer and the next records in which he is mentioned are the baptismal records of his children in Doon in the 1830’s.  Margaret must have died, possibly during the famine years, because John remarried in 1853 to Ellen Hanley. 

Before John’s second marriage, Griffiths Valuations showed him renting a house in Liscaugh townland in Doon village.  After his marriage he moved across the street to the house and garden which Ellen had rented in Doon South townland. 

John was listed as a farm laborer and lived onto the age of ninety six (if his birth date is to be believed) before he died in 1895.  His son John was a tailor and had a draper’s shop in the village.  Two of his other sons emigrated in the 1870’s, Edmund to Chicago and Richard to New Zealand.  After working as a farm laborer for several years, Richard bought his own farm on the outskirts of Christchurch.




Return to Top of Page
Return to Lloyd Main Page