- Quigleys at Inishowen in Donegal
- Father James Quigley
- Quigleys in Monaghan and Fermanagh
- Robert Quigley of Quigley's Bridge
- Captain Aaron Quigley in the Revolutionary War
- The Quigleys of Beech Creek
Quigleys at Inishowen in Donegal
The Quigleys were at one time numerous on the Inishowen peninsula in county Donegal, reportedly the fifth most popular surname in the area. One Quigley family has traced itself back to Robert Quigley who was born in Buncrana in 1801. Another Quigley family, recorded in Clonmany in the 1820’s, may have subsequently emigrated to Canada.
Quigley’s Point (Rinn Ui Choigligh) is a village in Donegal on the eastern shores of Inishowen overlooking Lough Foyle.
Father James Quigley
Father James Quigley (sometimes Coigley) was ordained as a Catholic priest in Armagh in 1785. A United Irishmen, he worked at improving Catholic and Presbyterian relations. He traveled often to England and Paris where he was involved with a group called the United Britons.
traveling to France, he narrowly
escaped capture and execution by the French Revolutionaries. He was, however, apprehended by the English
four other United Irishmen, one of them being Arthur O'Connor,
a leader of the rebels of Leinster. Upon his arrest, the English authorities
discovered a letter by the United Britons, addressed to the French
Revolutionary Government calling for an invasion of England, hidden in
permission for a Catholic priest. His
jailers delivered a 'Castle-Catholic' reverend, one loyal to the
British Crown. They
ordered him to refuse the last sacraments to Quigley unless the rebel
would give details concerning the United Irishmen.
Father Quigley would not talk and the visiting
priest left with no sacraments dispensed.
Quigley was hanged on Penenden Heath in Maidstone
on June 7, 1798.
Monaghan and Fermanagh
town and parish of Clones spans western Monaghan and county Fermanagh
is now Northern Ireland. The
Quigleys were at
one time the erenaghs at Clontivrin in Clones.
But there has been no substantial recent Quigley presence in the
family history began in the
early 19th century with Michael and Jane Quigley of nearby Roslea in
Fermanagh. Their son John, born around
1825, was recorded as the head of a Quigley family there in the 1901
censuses. Seamus Quigley is now a star
turn with the Roslea Shamrocks and two of his brothers also play for
Robert Quigley of Quigley's Bridge
From infancy Robert the son was the companion of his father James Quigley. Born fourteen years after his parents had settled on a wild tract of land along Condoguinet Creek in Pennsylvania, he soon learned to wield the axe, fell the forest trees, and follow his father with the plow. In the summer he harvested the grain, ranked the wood in stacks for winter use, cleared the land of brush and stubble, and built fences, bridges, and laid out roads.
His boyhood days were also days of peril. Year after year he heard of blood-thirsty advances in the valley, hundreds falling beneath the blow of the tomahawk, and learned with infant lips to raise the cry of danger, and with the eye of infancy to pick the trail of the Indian.
His encounters with the Indians and practice in the shooting of game made him a skilled marksman. During the Revolutionary War many a redcoat fell beneath his unfaltering aim and steady nerve.
He was a large, powerfully built man. Among the early generations of the family, blue eyes, brown hair, and strong vigorous constitutions predominated. A mixture of red hair and brown eyes was noticeable in some of his children and is seen in descendants until the present day.
Captain Aaron Quigley in
Captain Aaron Quigley came from a Quigley family which had settled in Burlington, New Jersey in the 1730’s. Philip Quigley, described as a slave-getter, had married Mary Pearson there in 1733.
The Quigleys of Beech Creek
Their son Michael was born in Lancaster county in 1777. He married a local girl, Mary Clark, and settled in Bald Eagle township in what was to become Clinton county. In 1814 he built a grist mill nearby, which his son Cline took over after Michael’s death in 1839. The small town that sprung up around the grist mill was first called Quigley Mills and then in 1850 became Beech Creek. As a result, Michael Quigley is usually credited with being the founder of Beech Creek.
Possibly related to Michael were John and Nicholas Quigley, likely father and son tailors in the area in the early 1800’s. By the 1870’s there were numerous Quigleys in the town, enough to provide five players to the local baseball team. However, few Quigleys have remained there.